Patty Smith was born and raised in Petoskey, Michigan. As an adult, she lived for many years in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Her metalwork and sculpture are fueled by her love of the Great Lakes and the geology/landscape of the Upper Midwest. The impact of ancient glacial activity on the landscape often serves as a personal metaphor for her artwork.
Smith received her MFA from Arizona State University in 1999 and her BFA from Northern Michigan University in 1996; both degrees concentrated in the field of Metalsmithing and Jewelry Design. Since 2008, she has served as an Instructor of Visual Arts at Interlochen Arts Academy. At Interlochen, she teaches Metalsmithing, Sculpture, Visual Awareness, Senior Thesis. Along with teaching, she manages the Dow Visual Arts Gallery. Prior to her work at Interlochen, she taught at Northern Michigan University, Arizona State University, Marquette Arts and Culture Center, Marquette Alternative High School, and Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp. In Her artwork has been exhibited nationally and internationally in museums galleries, and art fairs.
- Window to the Heavens Necklace with 14kt Gold, Apache Sage Jasper, Garnet, Brown Moonstone
- Window to the Heavens Necklace with 14kt Gold, Apache Sage Jasper, Garnet, Brown Moonstone detail
- Sterling Silver Necklace with Dendritic Opal, Moonstone, Black Onyx
- Sterling Silver Necklace with Dendritic Opal, Moonstone detail
- Sterling Silver Necklace with Labradorite, 14kt Gold, Fresh Water Pearl
- Sterling Silver Necklace with Red Jasper
- Sterling Silver Necklace with White Moonstone
- Sterling Silver Necklace with Chrysophrase
- Sterling Silver Necklace with Peach Moonstone
- Sterling Silver Ring with Royston Turquoise
- Sterling Silver Ring with Peach Moonstone
- Patty Smith